Monday, July 29, 2013

Elaborating on the New Branding

I decided it is probably worthwhile to elaborate a bit on the design choices I made and vision I had in mind with the logos I posted for Farpoint last time. If you have the time, read the whole thing instead of just skimming.

First, here is the previous version of the logo that is currently on the Farpoint website:

current Farpoint logo

I thought that the concept for this logo was excellent. Using what I refer to as the "Farpoint Medallion" as the "o" in Farpoint was a great design choice, and brought potential for a consistent branding in all situations. That being said, I believed that it could be improved. If there is one thing that I learned from Mr. Williamson's work at the original Space Center, it is that constant effort should be given toward improving what we have, rather than just taking it for granted. The font that was being used looked professional, but didn't really match the vision I had seen for Farpoint. From what Mr. Williamson has said about Farpoint, I thought that it's logo should simply look like the future. The Medallion used was also a bit less clean-looking than another version Mr. Williamson posted, seen below.

the Farpoint Medallion

As a reference, here is what my version of the logo looks like:

my version of the Farpoint logo

Because I was already familiar with it's application in the HOSA: Future Health Professionals branding, I settled on using Aldo Semi-Bold as the font for my own version of the logo. As the image below demonstrates, certain aspects of the font just match what I wanted to accomplish.

Onward and Upward

The curves in some of the letters in this font just seem to me to be pointing to the future. I decided to call this effect "onward and upward." It could pretty much be said to be "pointing" to the future. By coincidence, the angles on these curves almost exactly matches the angle on the curve of the Medallion. Aldo Semi-Bold looks futuristic, but also doesn't look corny by going too far with that goal in mind. Here is a link to download the font, just in case anyone at Farpoint is interested in experimenting. ;)  http://www.trypo.com/trypo/fonts/aldo/index.php

The blue for the letters in the logo literally comes from the planet found in the Medallion. This added a consistency to the look, but I think the lower contrast between the blue and the black creates a cool effect. Almost mystical.

The Medallion could be used in documents, as a profile picture on the Farpoint Facebook page, and in other similar applications. It would be similar to the fleur-de-lis used by the Boy Scouts of America. In other, more normal applications (such as on the Farpoint website), the full implementation of the logo could be used. In cases that are more formal, the following version could be used:

logo with slogan

Last of all, in case a white background needs to be used, here is a very quick white version that I made. It isn't as good quality, mostly because I didn't have a white (or transparent) version of the Farpoint Medallion to use. I would assume those actually at Farpoint do, so they could potentially make a better version.

white Farpoint logo

As you may be able to tell, I darkened the blue of the letters to enhance readability. It is however, a blue found in the Medallion's planet. I still personally prefer the black implementation, because it reminds me of space and the night sky, but I am not the one to have the final say.

I hope you all like what I have done! Feel free to comment and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment